Role of Physical Therapist in The Emergency Department ED
Currently, only a handful of EDs have physical therapists as part of their personnel. One possible reason for this may be a limited understanding of how physical therapists may be of benefit for the ED patient population. Due to the complexities of healthcare delivery, establishing the value of any new service or intervention is important. Thus, clinicians considering implementing ED-based physical therapy need to provide justification for introducing such a unique service whether the problem is due to musculoskeletal injury or impairment of multiple systems, physical therapists are the most qualified individuals to make recommendations regarding a patient’s functional capacity and potential.
There is a substantial and growing body of evidence supporting the benefits of early physical therapy intervention as can be provided in the ED.
Evidence suggests that ED practice may be enhanced by the physical therapist’s perspective on education and prescriptive exercise for patients with musculoskeletal impairments.
physical therapy provided in the ED may be the only opportunity for these patients to receive such care
A literature review provides a description of existing ED physical therapy practice models
the current evidence suggests that the baseline musculoskeletal knowledge of practicing therapists is at least comparable to, and frequently exceeds, that of other medical practitioners.
- Learn how physical therapy provision in the hospital emergency department (ED) is a growing area of practice
- Describes the rationale for utilizing physical therapists as musculoskeletal specialists in the ED
- Understand traumatic and non traumatic musculoskeletal conditions that visit ED
- Learn different models of providing PT in ED
- Understand interventions provided by PT in ED.
- Discuss succeful cases benefited from PT in ED
This course has been approved for 2 CEUs for IL PT
All other attendees will receive a certificate of attendance with no CE credit
- We use Zoom Webinar for our live webinars
- Webinar information and access code will be emailed to registered users prior to the webinar date.
- Please note, joining the webinar using a phone is not acceptable, you MUST use an approved device.
- Approved devices are PC/MAC/Tablets.
Certificates will be available in the user profile. You must submit the course evaluation in order to receive a certificate. Please visit support page to learn how to print your certificate.