Establishing a Medicare-covered Maintenance Therapy Program; A Clinical Guidance
Maintenance therapy was introduced with the revisions to the Medicare Manual in 1989.There has been some difficulty in understanding and implementing this benefit because it seems to go against the grain of “traditional” Medicare. That is. Medicare never covered anything that was “maintenance” in nature. And now it does but with some additional requirements. Maintenance therapy is a covered service for patients under traditional Medicare or Medicare Advantage. Coverage includes Inpatient Rehab, SNF, Outpatient, and Home Health. The coverage is not only for Physical Therapy, but also for Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, and Skilled Nursing. The course also will clear the confusion about PDGM/PDPM and maintenance therapy. The course will explain in detail the Jimmo Settlement. Maintenance therapy is a paradigm shift in the practice of therapy profession as the number of patients requiring maintenance therapy growing and demands for justification increasing. The course will highlight the conceptual differences between rehabilitative and maintenance therapy. the audience will learn how to establish a plan of care based on a strong knowledge of assessment and clear description of treatment provided. In my humble opinion, Therapy clinicians should adapt the “Jimmo Settlement” because it has moral and ethical obligations beside the clinical obligations.
- Learn the circumstances that brought maintenance therapy to the highlight “Why now!”.
- Appreciate why maintenance therapy is a paradigm shift in the practice of therapy professions.
- Understand the conceptual differences between rehabilitative (restorative) therapy and maintenance therapy.
- Learn the billing requirements for maintenance therapy for various therapy settings.
- Understand the role of PTA in providing maintenance therapy .
- Establish strong rationalization for maintenance therapy patients.
- Formulate plan of care for maintenance therapy.
- Educate your colleagues, billers, and decision maker in your facility about maintenance therapy .
- Adapt Jimmo settlement.
This course has been approved for 2 CEUs for IL PT/PTA/OT/COTA
All other attendees will receive a certificate of attendance with no CE credit
Certificates will be available in the user profile. You must submit the course evaluation in order to receive a certificate. Please visit support page to learn how to print your certificate.
- We use Zoom Webinar for our live webinars
- Webinar information and access code will be emailed to registered users prior to the webinar date.
- Please note, joining the webinar using a phone is not acceptable, you MUST use an approved device.
- Approved devices are PC/MAC/Tablets.
To get a certificate, you have to register to the course.
Access Code: 691829
If you attended the webinar, Click the link below to access the evaluation form.